Fourteen*0



Lost is coming to close rapidly, there are so many questions I am waiting to be answered. The latest episode "Across the Sea" went along way to answering some of these, but I really feel as though it raised a few more than it answered.

[Spoilers follow]
It established Jacob's character completely - his reason for being the Island's protector, why he appears to care very little for some lives or consequences and most importantly why he is adamant that it does not matter how willing his replacement is; it's meant to be and thus it will. So for Jacob's character - yes it worked. What the Man in Black is looking for and his reasons - yes. Once gain it painted the Man in Black in such a way for the audience to sympathise with him and this is where the episode fell down. This is the first episode this season that I didn't think was as balanced as it could have been. The previous episode painted the Man in Black as definitive evil, having killed 3 (possibly 4) of the main cast. But whose to say that Jacob wasn't equally as in the wrong for selecting these 'candidates'. 

That leaves me wondering if the intention is to confuse the audience again? I trust that there is a purpose. The most confusing points of the episode lie in the birth of the smoke monster - is the smoke monster Jacob's brother? Or was the monster born of the sacrifice and took his form now that he is dead - as he did Locke? Based off the Man in Black's conversations in past episodes I would have to say that he is his brother - but this is assumed off the fact that he has related past memories. I seem to recall him commenting that he knew Locke's memories? I think I'll have to rewatch the season to confirm that. This aside, the use of footage from Season 1 to hammer through the fact that Jacob's mother and brother were the skeletons in the cave was heavy handed. I have been looking forward to the answer of this, I WAS a fan but thought it was a little tactless for Lost.

So the questions that remain to be answered to keep me happy;
- Who is Jacob's replacement?
Everything points to Jack, Sayid stated as much. But with Jacob's mother commenting that she thought his brother was meant to replace her - the Man in Black may be putting his eggs in the wrong basket. I cannot really think of who else would replace him though. The remaining options are Sawyer, Hurley and Jack. I'd like to see Sawyer thrust into the role - as unwilling as Jacob with the difference that Sawyer does not want to stay on the Island.

- What is Desmond's role?
I'd have to say something about immobilizing the smoke monster.. Something along those lines.

- What is Widmore's purpose?
I've got nothing here. Apart from the fact that he was kicked off the island and felt his purpose was there I couldn't say. It's selfish whatever it is.

- Who will die?
Ummm. Kate. Richard. Ben. I think Hurley would be a hard hitting death but I can't see it happening. If Kate dies I can't see Sawyer and Jack kicking it. I would love to see Jack die, or replace Jacob and finally have purpose. I'm on the fence there.

- Who will leave the Island?
Everyone? Noone? Can't pick it.

- What will happen to the Smoke Monster?
I wouldn't say die. But something bad.

- Lastly, what is the Flash Sideways universe?
Who the hell knows. It's damned intriguing, but so confusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment