Dawnguard


The first DLC for Skyrim is out. I downloaded it last night, only 500mb's or so which is quite decent considering what it adds to the game. I finished of a couple of side quests I had started previously and then dove into hunting down the beginning of the Dawnguard quest..

Or so I thought.

After an hour or so of hunting for a guard that was going to mention the vampire menace (and launch the quest) I had the thought that maybe it didn't install properly. Exited to the dashboard and relaunched the game. At this point I should mention that I downloaded the DLC through the game, not from the dashboard. Upon relaunch the main menu loaded up and a screen popped up over the top to inform me that 'Add Ons are installing'.

Didn't I feel stupid?

So after that finished and I jumped back into the game I talked to the first guard I saw (in Riften) and the first thing he said was "Don't I know you?". So after talking my way out of potential jail time/paying of fines due to stealing a horse he brought up vampires and I was on my way. I headed down the path, which lead to the mysterious gateway that apparently leads to Morrowind. My destination lay beyond that point so I was quite excited and rode through the gateway.

Or not.


The invisible barrier still stands, I was confused to say the least. After a little backtracking I discovered there is actually a linear path that leads you through the mountain and around the gate to the Dawnguard Castle. So there you go, that's how you get started. I have not found out why the werewolf skill tree has not yet appeared for me, but after a brief play I'm hooked into Skyrim again. Also, crossbows are extremely effective. The base bow I was given did more damage than my enchanted Glass Bow - which is more than just a little sad.

I'm looking forward to playing more. My main character is level 30 and happens to be a werewolf - so he will be travelling the Dawnguard path - it makes sense to his character, the upstanding Nord that he is (let's forget about the aforementioned horse thievery). I do have another level 10 character who is a scumbag so I can fulfil my vampiric needs with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment