Arrogance

I cannot believe the heights that the arrogance of Michael Bay will soar to, nay - strive to. In a recent interview with The Early Show Transformers star Megan Fox commented that she still does not understand the latest film 100% and that full comprehension of the film is accessible only to geniuses. Unfortunately for her Michael Bay heard about this and jumped into defensive mode/unnecessary anger much like he did when he discovered that Terminator Salvation was going to feature giant robots – because giant robots were his thing, because it is his original idea and all! *sarcasm for those who didn’t get it =p*

Bay stated to the Wall Street Journal;

"Well, that's Megan Fox for you. She says some very ridiculous things because she's 23 years old and she still has a lot of growing to do. You roll your eyes when you see statements like that and think, "Okay Megan, you can do whatever you want. I got it." But I 100% disagree with her. Nick Cage wasn't a big actor when I cast him, nor was Ben Affleck before I put him in "Armageddon." Shia LaBeouf wasn't a big movie star before he did "Transformers"-and then he exploded. Not to mention Will Smith and Martin Lawrence, from "Bad Boys." Nobody in the world knew about Megan Fox until I found her and put her in "Transformers." I like to think that I've had some luck in building actors' careers with my films."

And when I read this I must say I felt a sudden rush of anger and disbelief. In one brief statement he claims responsibility for the careers of Nicolas Cage, Will Smith, Martin Lawrence and Ben Affleck. I mean come on, when people think of these actors and their early roles that gained them fame they don’t think of Michael Bay films – action heavy, light on story. Especially Will Smith, yes Bad Boys was a success for him, but not really a career defining moment – that title remains with The Fresh Prince of Bel air and Men in Black. And the comment that Shia LaBeouf wasn’t a big movie star before Transformers holds little merit. Yes it did have a major impact on his career but he already had other films being released in 2008 that would have done the job ala Indiana Jones and Eagle Eye and Disturbia did attract some attention as well. Speilberg has been keeping an eye on the young actor’s career since Holes back in 2003 and it should be noted that he also appeared alongside Will Smith in I, Robot as well. All these things being said and my anger being set aside I will say this about Bay; he can most definitely direct action but he should leave the rest of it to someone else who appreciates a more delicate approach to film making.

nb. the image above makes me shudder, i wonder what a filmmaker of Spielberg's caliber see's in Bay.


No comments:

Post a Comment