Thirteen*0



It's been an interesting couple of days.

Went to another talk at COFA last night, this one about showreels. It was interesting to see the reels that people have been hired from because to be honest I thought some of them were a bit average - but upon explanation it helped me grasp what made it a good reel and why said individual had gotten that particular opportunity. Something that struck me as odd was the length of the reels - all of which extended past 2 minutes with the exception of a few which purely showcased a single (albeit impressive) project. This was something that goes against everything that I was taught throughout uni and I am still in disagreement with the longer reel times. We watched 15-20 odd reels in an hour and a half, some of which would have hit the 5 minute mark and that is just too long for a prospective employer to sit through in my mind (without stopping the reel). It depends on what you are showcasing of course, if you are showcasing compositing and including breakdowns of shots that you have worked on then yes - a reel is going to hit the 2 minute mark (dependent on the quantity of shots). But for an animation reel 1 and a bit minutes should be more than plenty to get your skills across effectively.

After the talk Liz and I stopped by a random pub on the way back to Central just to check it out, we haven't had much of a chance to explore Sydney despite having been here for months so that was good. Will definitely head back to that particular pub again! Classy and would definately be classed as a Beer Bar.

I was offered a contract After Effects Animator/Compositor job a few days ago which unfortunately clashes with heading to Wagga next week for Graduation and unfortunately the company cannot wait to do this job so I had to pass. They may be able to give me some work after I get back, but its doubtful. After months of fruitless job hunting that was a swift kick to the groin! The upside of course is that yes, someone has noticed my emails and are very willing to give me work! So that's what I need to focus on right now. I did email the company back thanking them for the offer and to definitely keep me in mind for future projects so you never know what could come of that!

Lastly, recieved a phone call from my good friend Ammon earlier in the day. He recently got engaged and has set the early date of July 17th for the Wedding in Wagga. Very happy for him and Bri and was doubly pleased when he asked me to be a Groomsman! Or rather told me! I believe it was phrased "I just need to tell you what to wear seeing as you're going to be a groomsman".

=)

Also saw lostprophets in concert back on the 27th March with my little bro! They were rather spectacular I must say! The 2 support bands were a non-event, especially the 2nd band who attempted to destroy everyone's eardrums by having the levels up high enough to cause minor tremors and as a result it was just noise! Horrible, ear shattering noise. They also covered one of lostprophets songs which I thought was plain rude. Here's some photos I took on my iPhone of the concert using the CorssProcess app - I think they turned out quite well as far as phone photos go!


No comments:

Post a Comment