Review - G.I.JOE


**MAJOR PLOT SPOILERS AHEAD**

As far as action films G.I.JOE is every boy’s dream. As far as a story is concerned, it falls by the wayside – but honestly who was going to G.I.JOE for the storyline??

Not Me.

I went purely to see the action, with no expectation of a real storyline so I got what I expected to see albeit there was a shallow story there but not really enough to engage you in really caring for the characters, although the predictability of the film did not really leave any doubts about the end result of a fight. I was pleasantly surprised with the identity of The Doctor, that was well played in comparison to The Baroness who I really thought they could have played on that mystery more than they did. With Sienna Miller looking radically different as a brunette to a blonde I think they could have used the flashbacks in a different way to build mystery around her identity and relationship with Duke more.


Actors from The Mummy films provided a heavy presence; Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje and Arnold Vosloo featuring heavily as Heavy Duty and Zartan respectively. Cameo’s from Kevin J O’Connor and Brendan Fraser were quite well played, especially Fraser. He was so insistent in being in the film I feel that his cameo was one of the better cameo’s I have seen in the past few years.

The special effects targeted the hyper-real look, which was at times painfully obvious – some scenes standing out more than others. The action scenes were well presented with a lot happening in a very manageable fashion (unlike Transformers). Overall I quite enjoyed the film, getting a little more than was expected with some great action sequences, but no story whatsoever definitely let the film down.

No comments:

Post a Comment